The June Daring Bakers' challenge was hosted by Jasmine of Confessions of a Cardamom Addict and Annemarie of Ambrosia and Nectar. They chose a Traditional (UK) Bakewell Tart... er... pudding that was inspired by a rich baking history dating back to the 1800's in England.
Yes! And since the recipe is so old, it was done in weight measurements! Kinda cool. At least it forced me to get out the scale I have tucked away in the pantry that I have still never used (except to weigh a letter to mail, but that's besides the point). So, that was kinda neat for me. And what is even better about that, is even though my scale seemed inconsistent, the tart still came out great! Woo! Thank goodness. If it came out horrible I am not sure if I would have posted it or given it another whirl.
So. The crust was so yummy, like a shortbread. I took the suggestion and made the leftovers into cookies dotted with flower shaped sprinkles. I didn't get a picture of that before my girls gobbled it up. The fruit layer? Oh my. Well, I had this idea that I would make my own jam with local flavors. Then I remembered in New England nothing is quite in season yet- another week on strawberries I am told, but then the seeds.... and another thing- I don't make jam. So I looked over the flavors in the store, and grabbed an apricot jam, but at the last minute switched it out for peach-mango preserves. Sounds good, right? I had been debating on buying one jar or two... one seemed too little while two seemed too much. No ne would eat it in the house, so I just grabbed one. Then inspiration struck while I was facing this dilemma. I had two peaches in the fridge! Brilliant! I peeled them and sliced them and put them in my saucepan. A sprinkle of sugar never hurt. I turned on the heat. I figured jam would happen, but no jam. Eh. When the going gets tough the tough go drinking? Not so much for me anymore, but the peaches loved a good soakign in amaretto!! Yum. So, I cooked them for a bit until they were all drunk and mushy. I added the preserves and it really came out very good. It poured nicely over the crust. I topped it with the frangipane, which was also very tasty. I'm usually not one to lick the spoon, but it was just calling to me!
It browned a bit more than I would have liked, but it did taste incredible. Like peach-mango marzipan! My mom would love it! She's requested it already!! I did manage to give most of it away, seeing as that my husband won't eat carbs and none of my girls liked it. One tart is definitely too much for me to eat on my own, though I will admit I ate two slices today!! So good! I can't wait for my next challenge!!!
2 comments:
Congrats on your first challenge! Your tart looks great!
Welcome! Nice job on your first challenge!
Post a Comment