Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Another daring bakers challenge completed! Yay!
The July Daring Bakers' challenge was hosted by Nicole at Sweet Tooth. She chose Chocolate Covered Marshmallow Cookies and Milan Cookies from pastry chef Gale Gand of the Food Network.

This is the second daring bakers challenge I have completed. I wasn't able to do the Mallow cookies. I wanted to, but I don't eat gelatin and I was looking for a marshmallow recipe that didn't have gelatin when time ran away from me. It's got a funny way of doing that this summer. I hope to be better, but so far it looks like the only updating I've been managing on my blog is the daring challenges! I do have pictures to upload of my regular eats, but that's just not going to happen tonight.

Onto my Milan cookies!
Sigh. I meant to make these for company, but ran out of time. A couple days after company left I busied myself in the kitchen and made the cookie part of this recipe. I only burned one batch ;) I covered them and wasn't able to get to the chocoalte filling until the next day. And the next day I got a phone call inviting my family over for a pool playdate! Yikes! I didn't want to shop up empty handed, and I did have these cookies... So I whipped up the filling. Unfortunately I didn't wait for the chocolate to thicken all that much. It was either that, or the humidity that led to the cookie being more pliable than crunchy. There was a little crunch, but I would have liked more. And because I was in such a rush to get these out to our playdate, the pictures were hurried. I feel like the photo doesn't do much justice, and reminds me more of fingerling potatoes than of cookies! But it was a fun challenge and the adults of the playdate enjoyed the cookies very much. The children of the playdate, not so much. But considering my picky offspring were in the lot, I don't rely much on their critique ;)



1 comment:

Kenna - everythinggal.com said...

Great job! I did the mallows, so can't commiserate with you much, but I've heard that the cookies were tough to get just right (size, texture, etc.). But yours look great!